This post comes to us from Kristen DeAngelis, our beloved, inspirational TYB Teacher who also happens to be a registered dietitian and nutritionist. Read more of her recipes at http://www.kristendeangeliswellness.com/
I love pizza. Who doesn't? But the problem is, it's pretty damn high in carbs, can be problematic for those with gluten intolerance or wheat allergies and just can be so greasy when you order out. That's why I am in LOVE with this cauliflower pizza crust! Not only am I cutting back on the carbs by switching to cauliflower which also increasing fiber and cuts out the possibility of gluten-intolerance problems... I am increasing the variety of my diet and increasing the nutritional content!!! By making it at home you have complete control and there are endless possibilities with the toppings you have the option to add! Enjoy!
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste (1/8 tsp each)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat; set aside.
2. To make the cauliflower crust, add cauliflower to a food processor and pulse until finely ground, yielding about 2-3 cups. Transfer to a microwave-safe bowl. Cover loosely and place into microwave for 4-5 minutes, or until softened; let cool.
3. Using a clean dish towel or cheese cloth, squeeze out water and drain cauliflower completely, removing as much water as possible (the more water you drain, the better your crust will come out).
4. Transfer cauliflower to a large bowl. Stir in eggs, cheese, and Italian seasoning; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
5. Spread cauliflower mixture onto the prepared baking sheet, pressing down so that crust is about ½” thick, and a little thicker on the sides. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden.
6. Top with 1-2 Tbsp pizza sauce, veggies and light sprinkle of cheese. Place into oven and bake until the cheese has melted, about 3-5 minutes. Serve immediately, sprinkled with basil and red pepper flakes, if desired.
- Peppers, Onions
- Pesto, Mozzarella, Cherry Tomatoes
- Spinach, Mushroom, Onion
- Tomatoes, Olives, Basil
- Chicken strips with BBQ sauce drizzled on top
COOK’s TIP: Make sure to drain cauliflower completely! The more water you drain, the better your crust will be!
Adapted from: http://damndelicious.net/2016/07/13/best-cauliflower-pizza-crust/
Post a Comment